Archive for June, 2012
Any dollhouse is incomplete without furniture. You can buy miniature furniture from toy stores, but it will be more fun if you could bring in your creativity to work. Using homemade furnishing is stylish, inexpensive and completely customizable. Things available in and around the house such as empty boxes, scraps of fabric, old containers and lids etc, which are otherwise of no use, can help you in building homemade dollhouse furniture.
If you wish to make dollhouse furniture with things available in your home, here are some ideas:
- For tiny tables, make use of pizza plastic inserts that come with the pizza box. They look great if scrap pieces of fabric are used as table cloth to cover them.
- For creating a dollhouse bed, empty a cheese box and turn it upside down. Next, turn its top and glue a layer of batting to create a mattress. Use fabric to cover the batting and make a headboard using 4 ¾ inch of craft sticks. These craft sticks can be painted and placed separately to cover the entire bed horizontally and vertically. Place them together by using wood glue and attach them as a headboard to your bed.
- For creating beautiful curtains, rugs and bedding, the crocheted dollies can be a great addition. Frilly looking curtains need dollies along with satin ribbon. Matching curtains can be planned by collecting dollies and fastening them to small dowel rods with satin ribbon.
- For dollhouse furniture such as wooden drawers, empty match boxes can be a good option. They can be used to make a chest of drawers if glued together and painted with craft paint. You may even attach knobs by gluing attractive silver or gold beads to the drawers.
- For miniature trash bins, the lids from narrow hairspray cans can be used. You can make them attractive by adding crumpled paper.
So, use your imagination to create such beautiful dollhouse furniture to decorate the interiors.
June 20th, 2012
A dollhouse becomes beautiful if the right accessories are used in it. You can decorate your own dollhouse by using various kinds of accessories available in the market. Like different rooms of your house, you could have different rooms in your dollhouse like the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, bedroom, office, library and more.
In each room, you can use matching dollhouse accessories. For example, in a kitchen, you can use accessories like plates, cutlery, coasters, dishwasher, drinking glasses, coffee mugs, etc. Similarly, accessories for a bedroom would be a bed, chest of drawers, night stands, cushions and pillows. Likewise, for a bathroom, you could use bath rugs, bath tubs, bath robes, bath slippers, tissue boxes, toothbrush and toothpaste holders, laundry bags and more.
Other than these, there are many other interesting dollhouse accessories, which you can use to beautify your dollhouse. Some of these are curtains, planters, flower vases, toys, rugs, pets, wallpapers, photo frames, baby accessories, clothing accessories, accessories meant for garden and outdoors, sewing and knitting accessories, painting tools, school accessories, books and magazines, tableware, foods and drinks, and more.
Building up your dollhouse and decorating it with beautiful dollhouse accessories is a completely fun-filled activity. It is all about selecting the right accessories for your tiny toy house. There should be a synergy while picking up those accessories. If you are following a particular style or trend like Victorian or cottage, the accessories should be a part of the style and complement it. The whole idea is to make your dollhouse look real! This is only possible with the right use of different accessories.
So, get started with creating your dollhouse and deck it up with these attractive dollhouse accessories. It is indeed an exciting job for all you dollhouse lovers. You could visit a dollhouse shop or buy them online. These accessories also come as kits, which you can assemble with ease. You may even make them on your own using household articles that are otherwise useless.
June 15th, 2012
There is a huge range of accessories available in the market to decorate your doll house kitchen. Starting from miniature replicas of real-life vegetables and fruits, to appliances – simple, deluxe, or anything in-between- you will be spoilt for choice. You may even buy everything-included kitchens if you are not in the mood to put effort into creating kitchen accessories. However, the sheer range of these accessories can make it a daunting task to select the things that fit your tiny toy home’s décor and overall plan. So, here are some ideas to help you spice up your doll house kitchen:
Complete kitchen sets
Doll house kitchen accessories
You can get such sets that come with dishwashers, ovens, microwaves, refrigerators, stoves, sinks, etc. Make sure to choose a set that contains the elements you need for your doll house kitchen. Choosing the color and size of such sets is also important as they should match the overall color, setting, and décor of your kitchen.
If you wish to have the dining area as an extended part of your kitchen, you can shop for chairs, stools, tables, etc. Buying a table that can double up as a chopping board as well as a place to stack up the vegetables and other cooking equipment could be another good idea.
Baker’s rack, two door ice box, wet bin, flour bin hutch, kitchen cabinets, butcher box, etc. are some other individual pieces that can increase the glam quotient of your kitchen.
If you feel your kitchen should have some eatables on display, you can buy minitower versions of real life fruits and vegetables, and stack a few on the kitchen table.
Buying vs. creating
Doll house kitchen accessories can be either bought from stores or made at home (using household materials or by assembling ready-made kitchen kits). So, based on what your preference is, you may opt for either of these choices.
June 10th, 2012